Final Review (Due Friday December 20)
Write your answers on another sheet of notebook paper. You do not need to re-write the question, you do not need to write in complete sentences.
Use your notes, tests and quizzes, powerpoints, and book to help you answer the following questions.
1. List the steps of the Scientific Method.
2. What is a Control Group?
3. What is an Experimental Group?
4. What is an independent variable?
5. What is a dependent variable
6. Explain the difference between inductive and deductive reasoning
7. Convert the following measurement
a. 3.4 g to ___________mg
b. 657.3 dm to ________ km
8. Define Density.
9. Write the equation to finding the volume of a rectangular solid.
10. Name the four different parts of a wave.
11. Explain the relationship between the following words
a. Wavelength, amplitude, sound volume, sound pitch, and frequency
12. Find the speed of a wave that has a wave length of 10 cm and a frequency of 13Hertz.
13. Find the frequency of a way that has a speed of 7 cm/s and a wavelength of 18 cm.
14. List the 7 different waves in order from longest wavelength to shortest wavelength.
15. What is the law of reflection?
16. Define Refraction.
17. State the First Law of Thermodynamics.
18. State the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
19. Define Thermal Energy.
20. Relate the following terms, thermal energy, potential energy, kinetic energy, changing state of matter
21. What are the three main layers to the earth?
22. How does convection in the mantle work?
23. What are the three different kinds of Rocks?
24. Name the two different types of Igneous Rock and how are they made
25. Name some similarities and differences between Sedimentary rock and metamorphic rock
26. Who is Alfred Wegener?
27. What is the name of the Super Continent that is thought to have once existed?
28. Where does sea-floor spreading occur?
29. What is happening at Deep Ocean Trenches?
30. Define a Divergent Boundary.
31. Define a Convergent Boundary.
32. Define a Transform Boundary.
33. What is the theory of Plate Tectonics?
34. Where do most earthquakes occur and why?
35. What is a fossil?
36. Describe a Mold and Cast.
37. Describe a Petrified Fossil.
38. What is a Preserved Fossil?
39. What are the Three Different Era's of Earth's History from oldest to the current era we are in?
40. Explain the difference between an explosive eruption and a quiet eruption.
41. Be able to label the different parts of a volcano
42. What is pyroclastic flow?
43. Be able to explain THREE of the following
a. Cinder cone
b. Composite Volcano
c. Shield Volcano
d. Lava Plateau
e. Volcanic neck
f. Dome Mountains