Good news - churches can revive - All have in common:•Scriptural authority•Biblical leadership•Preaching and teaching•Ordinances•Covenant community•Mission
Barriers to Growth–Self-focused leaders and churches–Experiencing God’s discipline–Lack of radical faith/reliance–Doing instead of being the church–Watering down the gospel/truth–Distracted from our first love–Ineffective disciple-making–Irrelevant ministry–PRIDE
1. Review for test on Monday
1. Take test on chapters 4 & 5 of Sider
2. Return books and check out "Upside Down Kingdom"
3. Read chapter 1
The Kingdom of God¨- Not easy to define¨- Something people enter – not something that enters them¨- Social – With membership, citizenship, loyalties and identity¨- Is not an aggregate, but rather a collective¨- Is intended to be an alternate reality to the present world with God intended dynamics that reclaim the world from the fall- Aggregate vs. Collective models of churchWhy the Kingdom of God is Upside down from the world¨1. Because the present world is upside-down from God’s intentions, so from the worlds perspectives, God’s kingdom is upside down¨¨2. Society has a distinct topography – God’s kingdom is opposite¨¨3. The Kingdom, done right, is shocking
Detours (Ways the world tries to dismiss the Kingdom)
¨1. Jesus is culturally bound to a society that is long gone and now irrelevant¨2. Jesus came at the wrong time and expected too much¨3. The Dispensation view4. Spiritualize it All5. Individualize and Isolate the Gospel
- 2/5+6/2018A. Finish the material from last weekB. Look at Dispensationalism and how it relates to a detour
Innocence (Genesis 1 -3) - Adam and Eve before they sinned
- Conscience (Genesis 3-8) - First sin to the flood
- Civil Government (Genesis 9-11) - After the flood, government
- Promise (Genesis 12-Ex. 19) - Abraham to Moses, the Law is given
- Law (Exodus 20 - Acts 2:4) - Moses to the cross
- Grace (Acts 2:4 - Revelation 20:3) - Cross to the millennial kingdom
- Millennial Kingdom (Rev. 20:4-6) – The rule of Christ on earth in the millennial kingdom
Though dispensationalists share common opinions about interpreting scripture, there are different types of dispensationalist positions. Read and respond to: https://carm.org/dispensationalism
- Classical Dispensationalism
- God has different purposes at different times
- The Church is a parenthesis in history between the times of God dealing with Israel
- There will be a literal Kingdom in heaven and also a Kingdom on earth during the millennial period
- Modified Dispensationalism
- Two peoples of God: Israel and the Church
- Different roles
- Salvation is the same for both groups
- Church and Israel exist together during the millennium
- Progressive Dispensationalism
- Israel and the Church are both the people of God
- It relies more on covenantal interpretations
- Old Testament promises expanded to include the Church
- There are still distinctions between Israel and the Church
- Israel is still God’s chosen people with a plan from God
- Pre-trib rapture is generally held, but not necessary
- 2/7+8/2018A. Finish the material from 5 detours from the KingdomB. The temptations in Jesus Ministry1. Bread Messiah•The temptation is to become an economic Messiah•People would follow just because they got food – miss spiritual2. Miracle Messiah•The temptation is to do tricks so people follow (Recall Herod)•Problem – people not responding in faith3. Political Messiah•Political change does not bring heart changeRead the article - http://www.christianitytoday.com/pastors/2001/may-online-only/cln10502.htmlConsider as a class how each of these temptations might be present in both church and politics todayFind one illustration in history to illustrate each and justify the answer in writing. Talk about answers in table groups
- 2/9/2018This topic
1. Finish remaining work from the week above.
2. Look at the Political situation of Jesus time•Herod the Great – Died when Jesus was an infant•Kingdom was divided between:•Herod Antipas•Philip•Archelaus•Archelaus was king of the southern part of Judea, including Jerusalem – He was horrible, deposed in 2 yearsRoman procurator installed – eventually Pilate came
3. Finish reading chapter 2
Write 1 page paper on any of the topics of the week that holds relevancy to the student's life today.
Review for test tomorrow
1. Take test
2. Begin chapter 6 Upside Down Kingdom (Read)
3. Write 1 page response to the reading. What most impacted? What aspect seemed out of line or not covered appropriately.
1. Review the budgets made by the students for minimum wage couple
2. Read http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christiancrier/2014/06/01/what-is-the-meaning-of-jubilee-in-the-bible/
a. What were the spiritual meanings?
b. How might jubilee impact an economy?
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPKKQnijnsM Wealth distribution U.S.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWSxzjyMNpU Wealth distribution World
4. Write 2 paragraphs about what the likely effect of this inequity will be
Major Economic “Readjustment Years”
2001 (On Shemitah)
2008 (On Shemitah) – Dow down 777 points, 7% of it’s value
2015 – Dow lost 1300 points the week of Aug. 19th – 7% of its value
- What practices most effect the economy and the horrible inequity that is present globally?
Finish above work and ppt.
1. Finish reading chapters 6 & 7 of Upside Down Kingdom
2. Write 2 questions or observations found while reading
3. Answer questions and finish notes
1. Look at chapters 8 and 9 in the Upside Down Kingdom
- Old Testament Warfare
- Taking Jesus teaching to just be on a personal level
1. Finish work on chapters 6 - 9
2. Review for test 2/22
- 1/22 & 23/2018
Take test on chapters 6-9
Look at the four major power bases of society2. Expert Power – Extensive Knowledge3. Organizational Power (Position)4.
PersonalPower – From appearance, personality traits etc.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VslrMFMr7FYhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UxoDRHmXfshttps://www.2knowmyself.com/How_to_gain_power_and_influencewww.youtube.com/watch?v=dQn1-mLkIHw (the brutality of ape society)* Read article about power structures* Write 2 paragraph response.
- 2/26 - 3/2/2018
Look at the four major power bases of society2. Expert Power – Extensive Knowledge3. Organizational Power (Position)4.
PersonalPower – From appearance, personality traits etc.* Read article about power structures https://www.huffingtonpost.com/cindie-chavez-/7-traits-of-powerful-peop_b_10457844.html* Write 2 paragraph response.
- Topic 30
- 3/5/2018Looking at why we must approach who we are with humility...We have little say over much of who we are.•Intelligence – Limited variation is possible•Energy Levels – Many hormonal tendencies are inherited•Sex – It is written on every cell of our body and influences much about who we are•Physical Strengths and WeaknessesCultural influences that we have little say over:•Work ethics tend to be taughtFarm kids versus latch key kids•Loud/QuietKlutz/Beck•Country/CityMark/Kids visiting from Philadelphia to Lancaster Countyjail/Stay away from JailWhole ethic of jail proving your manhood•Independence/Team workUSA/Asia
a. Show remainder of video on Appalachia -
b. Do research on the Lakota tribe (first video) or the Appalachia poverty. c. Form presentations on how to minister to either of these groups (or another challenged demographic).
Rubric Ministry to Hurting People
5 minute or more focusing on a challenged people group – weight – 100 pts formative.
Quality of Thought
Showed little critical thought or struggle with topic
Shows some critical thought or struggle with topic
Shows deep thought and wrestling with the topic
Profound thought for High School
Correct length of 5 minutes or more
More than 2 minutes difference
More than 1 ½ minutes different
Less than 1 minute different
Target length attained
Use of scripture and other supportive material – list sources prominently
Few if any uses of support material
Some use of support material
Effective use of relevant material
Profound use and understanding of excellent source materials
Some points were interesting
Creative and Interesting
I may just enter the mission field because of this presentation
Presentation is muddled and incomprehensible
Presentation has some cohesion but lapses regularly
Presentation is cohesive with few lapses
Presentation flows well and is well communicated
Mr. Fry March 5, 2018
The goal of this presentation is to help you and others define your place in God’s kingdom in a world that is hurting.
- 3/12 - 16/2018
1. Finish presentations on ministry to Appalachian people.
2. Look at the following aspects that influence how well people make it: (ppt)
a. Personal Motivation
b. Cultural Values
c. Community Resources
d. Family Security
e. Other Factors
3. Review for test on chapters 11-13
4. Take Test on 3/16
1. Inward Discipline:MeditationPrayerFastingStudy2. Outward Discipline:SimplicitySolitudeSubmissionService3. Corporate DisciplineConfessionWorshipGuidanceCelebration
- 3/20 - 22/2018
A. In table groups, look at the homework from yesterday and discuss
B. Look at the Inward Disciplines :1. Meditation2. Prayer3. Fasting (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxw7bvG1yjA,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVgJxx3pHvM* Potentially challenge students to join me in a fast4. Study
1. Finish Fasting
2. Look at "study"
a. What it is:◼Analytical◼Explaining a word◼Involves observation, concentration, perception, reflection and repetition◼Includes books, lectures, nature and eventsb. What it is not:◼Devotional or a Meditation◼High priority on application◼Limited to books or lectures◼Reduced to an accumulation of knowledgec. Suggestions:◼Set aside time◼Choose a place free of distractions◼Find a comfortable position◼Comes as a student, not a teacher◼Learn with humility◼Study God’s word by:▪Reading a smaller Bible book each day for a month▪Reading a Major book straight through 3x▪Do a word study on a single word
- April 2- 3, 2018
Inner Devotions: Simplicity (slide 68 following)
1. What it is◼Sets things in their proper place◼Joyful unconcern for possessions◼Rejoices in the Lord’s gracious provisions◼Inward change expressed outwardly◼Unity and Balance2. What it is not◼Attachment to things◼Lust for status & position◼Forced poverty◼Limited to living without things◼Fragmented3. Temptations:◼Severe temptation towards legalism◼Canonize our choices as the simple life4. Inner Attitudes of Simplicity◼1) Receive what we have as a gift from God◼2) We are stewards with the freedom to trust God with our possessions◼3) We make our goods available to others5. Read Chapter on Simplicity6. Write a personal response: What about my life could be simplified in order to be more devoted to Christ?
1. Meet in Table groups to discuss simplicity
a. What aspects were uncovered in our personal lives where simplicity could be helpful?
b. Compare the categories on the board then refer them to table
2. Perform 3 Acts of Simplicity: (talk about these options which may not have been thought of)▪Act 1: Give something away.▪Act 2: Spend an hour watching nature without your electronic gadgets.▪Act 3: Spend a day letting your yes be yes, and your No be No.
- 4/4 - 6/2018
1. Consider the devotion of social justice
a. What injustices are we working on in our society?
b. Which ones need to be worked on that presently are not?
c. What can one person do?
2. Look at the life of William Wilberforce and his bringing down of slavery in England (This will be a detailed look that will lead to a paper that is introspective on what we might do to make this a better world.)
1. Continue with "Wilberforce"
2. Look at slavery in the world today
3. Write a 3+ page paper on the fight against slavery in the United States then and now
- 4/16/20181. Give an input into the challenges of being an older person in a youth centered world
2. Do some exercises to try to understand being aged
3. Plan the visit to Sunnyside
Field Trip to Sunnyside
1. Debrief on the trip to Sunnyside
2. Read article on getting older
Write a one page response.
1. Read the chapter on Study
2. PPt on study
3. Write response to what we looked at
- 4/23 & 24/2018
Simplicity◼What it is◼Sets things in their proper place◼Joyful unconcern for possessions◼Rejoices in the Lord’s gracious provisions◼Inward change expressed outwardly◼Unity and Balancehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGmFQ9icPzAhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfiC-d5TIZQRead: https://www.crosswalk.com/family/finances/the-art-of-simple-living.htmlWrite about your plan for simplicity - one page